Finally. Finally I got to see Dave & Tim, finally there was a DM-related show that I did not have to get on a plane for, finally it's MY turn to bore everyone with a song-by-song 'review' (I don't pretend to know anything about music). Anyway, Dave & Tim in Paris with 800 of their closest friends.
The crowd
I think 1/3 American, 1/3 French, 1/3 other nationalities. The French sure love to clap during a show. The Portugese and Italians sure love to scream inappropriate remarks MID-SONG. The Americans behaved very well for the most part. Except for the screaming girl behind us who Sarah told off before anyone would end up killing her. Throughout the show, I tried really hard not to get annoyed by yelling, screaming, hysterical people. And failed a couple of times. But I think it wasn't really bad - of course, I don't have anything to compare.
Dave speaks a little French, but kept apologizing for not speaking enough French throughout the show. He talked a lot of gibberish (which was insanely amusing according to the screaming American girl behind us - "Dave, look at me, I'm laughing!!") . He did a bit about the state of American media which was hilarious for real.
Bartender
Great song to start with. Everybody screams their head off when Dave starts wailing. Luckily, people started to settle down for the most part after they got it out of their system during this song.
Crush
I need Stefan on this song. This version though is more intimate and sweet. Once I stop searching for the sexual longing I'm used to in this song, I quite enjoy it.
So Damn Lucky
It hits me: I'm at a Dave & Tim show and I'm so close I can actually smell the sweat on their foreheads. Dave has a little trouble remembering the words of So Damn Lucky. I really couldn't care less. They're here! By the way - I never really noticed this before but Dave is very attractive. *ducks*
When The World Ends
It's better accoustic. But not my favorite song in the world. There was an extended ending though which was neat (did I just say 'neat'?)
Stay Or Leave
I love this song. Shut up. The lyrics are brilliant. Again, shut up.
Lie In Our Graves
I thought this one was great. Loads of yelling from the crowd during this song though. God, that is annoying.
Old Dirt Hill
I like it! Turns into a really cool and groovy song with just two guitars. A must-have.
Satellite
Dave's fingers are not pleased. Tim smiles from ear to ear.
(That's all I got on this one - never really got into this song, guess I'll never will)
Ants Marching
The boobsalot song. Will always remind me of the big-chested girl at the Gorge (my very first show) who raised hell the entire show until they finally played her request. Silly how that will always stay etched in my memory. But hey, it's Ants Marching and Tim does a lot for this one. Overall, Tim does a lot for everything. I know I noticed this before, when listening to the recordings I have of D&T shows, but somehow it's more noticeable when actually being there.
__________________
Crash Into Me
Dave changed shirts during intermission for those of you keeping score.
Question: why do people spontaneously climax when he sings the Dixie Chicken part?
Little Thing
This is actually 'And Another Thing'. Very nice. Dave's voice is an instrument in itself.
Smooth Rider
Meh. Although once again: better accoustic. Just more rough around the edges and that's what this song needs. I know that 'rough' doesn't rhyme with 'smooth', but the melody is too bluesy for the overproduced version on the album.
Tim Solo
Holy fuck wow. Goosebumps flying all over the place.
Where Are You Going
Okay my memory is failing me. Was it this song that went into Everyday or was it #41? And when did they end in "This is your land"? Mommy's brain.
Gravedigger
It's my husband's favorite tune. I however need a full band on this one.
#41
Yeah - I died here. And cried. And loved every second of it. Especially the extension at the end. Do it to me again in Amsterdam, guys. Kill me some more.
Dancing Nancies
Well, we saw that one coming. I love Dancing Nancies and I loved how everyone was holding their breath when he started singing "could I have been lost somewhere in Paris". The screaming after that line, not so much.
__________________
Cant Stop (tease)
Some Devil
To the male bitch yelling "Stay in Europe, Dave!!" in the middle of this one: STFUOIWFKY
Sister
Everyone is oh so quiet and so still. The air is loaded with... respect. Very moving song.
Still water (tease)
I love teases.
Don’t Drink the Water
ROCK. Suddenly it feels like there is an entire band upon the stage. Courtesy of Tim Reynolds.
Two Step
The girl up on the balcony who called this song all. night. long. (all night), finally got her way. Wonderful ending to an amazing experience.
I WAS AT A DAVE & TIM SHOW.
And I got *the* setlist to prove it.
Two more days until they're in my backyard.
Thursday, March 8, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Rad. :) I'm so glad you had this experience. By the way, I love stay or leave too, and I also never understood the screams during "Dixie chicken/tennesee lamb" deal.
Post a Comment