Tuesday, February 14, 2006

marika's comment on previous post made me realize that although we're 'all' watching the olympics, we're probably not watching the same sports, at all. at least, until speed skating is done... speed skating is the big thing in the netherlands, as far as winter olympics are concerned. i love to watch it, mostly because i grew up with it of course, but also because the dutch crowd at speed skating rocks. they applaude and yell for everyone, not just the dutchies. they just love to go to a race and watch the best man or woman win. like this guy





that's chad hedrick and he's american. i wouldn't be surprised if you never heard of him. anyway, he won the men's 5000 meters and beat our 19 year old sven kramer. and the dutch crowd was throwing orange items on the ice rink, as a token of great appreciation for his accomplishment. stuff like that makes me think there is still hope for us all.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw that! I saw him with tears in his eyes as the flags went up. He didn't let the tear fall though. I was yelling at the tv. "Just let go! It's Ok!"

haha.

Love the Olympics, however working the elliptical at the gym and watching snowboarding makes me dizzy. Sucks.

Anonymous said...

Oh man. I love that guy! His story was so touching about how his race was 13 years to the day his grandmother had died and he had written her name on his skate blade. I was never much a fan of speed skating, but I love it now! Chad even has his own website: http://www.chadhedrick.com/

Anonymous said...

Chad Hedrick's story's very inspiring, tho he's not as CUTE as sven kramer. But i am sooooo glad that hedrick won the gold!! Go chad!!
P.s chad hedrick kind of looks like my crush.

oh, kramer's pretty good 2, i mean for a 19 yr old, he's really good. tho i think his girlfriend is not as good looking.

Blog Archive